
Here's a picture of the two thorns in my side. Of course they have feet in them because did you want me to ruin our day by prying them off her feet? She's had them on since 7:10 a.m., roughly 30 seconds after she got out of bed.
First of all, please do not get me wrong: I LOVE that Megan loves these shoes so much. They definitely help portray her character. I've even had a black pair and silver pair in my Target basket, thinking these will bite the dust soon, but I've never purchased another pair (yet). BUT, they are also the subject of many a confrontation and not just with me - Daddy tries to draw the line, too. She insists upon wearing them everywhere, no matter what. I don't know why that bothers us so much, but it does. We have words every single morning - every single morning - about how she has to take them off to get in the shower. She's gone "stinky" many a day because she refuses to take them off for 10 freakin' minutes to shower. I have often contemplated standing on the back porch and hurling them over the fence to the empty lot behind us. Although with my luck, they'd grow into a glitter shoe tree.
I didn't explain yesterday's parent/teacher conference very well. To give you some background, we were discussing Megan's behavior and the possible connection to our rough morning at home. That led to me explaining to Miss Tiffany that we have at least an hour ordeal every morning about the glitter shoes. She said Megan regularly fights with her about the tennis shoes, and that it is an ongoing issue. So that led to the discussion about shoes; the only reason I was fighting the shoe battle was because of the "rules" at school about shoes. She said as long as they are closed-toe shoes they are fine. So then technically my argument to Megan was null and void, made apparent by the other girls wearing glitter/ballet shoes - believe me, she tells me the name of anyone she sees wearing similar shoes.
I have to decide if it's worth the fight everyday - in fairness to Miss Tiffany, too. I started the "battle" with Meg thinking it would only last a week, maybe two. But people, we are in week #5 now. How long do I beat my head against the wall? A good parent would answer, "Forever." But I answer, "Week 5 is enough for me."
5 comments:
Rules are rules. Take away the shoes - she has not earned the privilege of wearing such beauties. She is definately high spirited and willful - those are good qualities - not minding - well that is a whole different situation.
Love,
Aunt Kare
she grows... and soon they'll rub nice juicy blisters on her toes and she won't want to come within 10 feet of them. when that happens you should get a shadow box and make them into a memory that you can laugh at later. :)
HA! Glitter shoe tree! THAT is funny. My daugther wore high heel golden dress up shoes with gold accents and yellow feathers. She wore them everywhere too, and with all the clip-clopping noise they made when she walked, we got lots of attention. She just BEARLY passed them on to her cousin.
Those are some dang cute shoes! But what a tough decision, b/c do you give in and then she "wins" or do you hold your ground on teh principle? Good luck with that! Being a mom is NOT easy!
First of all, I am probably finally responding long after you have resolved this issue. Sorry. I teach, eat, and sleep. What can I say? Trust your instincts. You will get a lot of advice, but only you and Jeremy know which battles are worth fighting. I am sure there is a way to allow Meggie to assert her independence without robbing you of your authority. Maybe she can earn the right to wear them. Good luck, sweetie.
Post a Comment