Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sell out?

Confession: I have had a hard time living in Podunkville and adjusting to the new life. I long for my so-called-life (I can't even believe I'm referring to it as a life) back in "the city", yet can't afford the nearly $4 gas to conduct life as we used to know it...playgroups, Splash Factory, cool library story time, scrapbooking, grandparents, etc. I haven't really met any friends; yes, my fault because I haven't really made a huge effort. Some of you who have known me for a while might choke when I share this, but since I've become a stay-at-homer, I've become just a tad bit shy. Surely not as confident as I once was. I say hi to the other moms at story time and preschool - big whoppin' effort. I consider myself a pretty decent person to hang out with, but gee, I can only take so much of hanging out with myself! It has caused some serious issues, and maybe even a hint of poutiness on my part. Not anything near Prozac or depression proportions, but without intervention I could see it headed in that direction.

So, today I sucked it up and joined a moms group in town. Yes, I wrote a dues check and bought myself some friends. It was cheaper than a year's worth of anti-depressants, and it looks like it might be a little fun too. Megan met a new little friend, Georgia, and I hit it off with her mom. In fact after the group meeting, the two girls were upset that they had to leave each other. We decided to pick up some lunch, meet at the park, and let the girls run each other ragged. Success. I enjoyed the adult interaction and conversations related to all things NOT princess. Afterwards, I sat down with the "event" calendars and planned out our September and October play days. We won't do every single activity; for one, I'm not that desperate and two, some things just don't sound fun, but at least now we have some options.

9 comments:

*kt* said...

Good for you! I'm happy you're getting some adult convos in! :) I sure wish you lived closer though, I need my Erica time! We need to get together again soon! For reals!

Ashley said...

Way to go! I'm not good at making an effort to make friends... I probably would have never taken the step to "buy some friends". I'd just sit on the couch and think about how horrible it is to be me... Ha! Way to get out of your comfort zone and do something! You need to come teach me.

Ashley said...

welcome to my world. having all my kids go off to school after having at least one home for 16 years has been rough, and that's putting it mildly. something sadder: i have gone to the playgroup in our ward, without kids.... call me i am close if you are ever bored or need someone to talk to. this is the other ashley!

Hawkins Family said...

Ok, I feel a little bit jealous. :) Just don't forget me and Ellie!!

Kelly Goulding said...

I would hardly call it Podunkville.It is a great little city that we really love.I hope you can find your nitch there and be happy.Who knows you may end up liking it as we do if you give it a chance.

nanacathy said...

Gosh...if you consider youself from Podunkville...where does that put Me? I am 45 minutes from the nearest big grocery store...and there's more coyotes than people...talk about the boonies!!...When the kids get older, you will be glad you live in a smaller town.....

the-richardson-family said...

I can totally relate! I don't really consider myself in "podunkville", but the no-friends part is something I've been struggling with for over a year now up here, and I always feel as if I'm bothering someone when I try to strike up a conversation. It is nice to know I'm not the only one...

Kelli said...

I think it's a good idea and I hope it stays fun for both of you. I've thought of doing something similar, but then I start to think about how I'd rather pull my toenails out with pliers. It's just this fear of the unknown for me.

Lee said...

Hey this is great. I'm also having the same problem. I've decided to put in an effort making friends with some of the kids Moms. Wish me luck.